I learned from the bottleneck at the front of my room last year that something needed to change in my open house set up for this school year. So, I worked this week to hopefully make open house as informative and free from bottlenecks of parents waiting to talk with me by my classroom door.
I have set up several informational stations in my classroom for people to walk around and visit. In order to save paper (who wants to print out stuff for every parent?) I made signs for each station and put them up in a very visible place. Each sign has a title of what is viewable at that station, as well as a short link. The vast majority of parents will have smart phones, and so they can just type in the link and can then see the information.
Here are my stations:
- Welcome back/parent letter (this was also emailed out to all parents)
- Our class Twitter account @HogensHeroes
- The class “trailer” (like a movie trailer) I made
- The syllabus which is in infographic form
- A “get to know the teacher” presentation
Hopefully it will go well and we will avoid all the lines and waiting parents that happened last year!